Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Real World Horror: The Evils of Religious Groups

     I really do hate the last two months of the year. All of the family and sharing and caring... blech! But I do understand that some people find comfort in this, so I leave my crypt to visit family when the time calls for it, and I smile and ignore the things that bother me.
     The Salvation Army should take a page from my book instead of their's, I should think. I only bring this up now because now is the time those little red buckets start to appear, with grinning volunteers looking for hand-outs.

     On a public radio show some time ago, Major Andrew Craibe went on the air as the Salvation Army Media Relations Director. The host of the show, one Serena Ryan, brought up the shows topic: a boycott that had been called on the Salvation Army for it's anti-gay policies.
     This church (yes it's a church as well) has a manual for all volunteers, that Craibe consulted before the interview. In it includes instructions for not only how to deal with homosexuals, but their parents as well!
Another group I'll be making certain not to support...

Ryan: According to the Salvation Army gay parents deserve death. How do you respond to that, as part of your doctrine?
Craibe: Well, that’s a part of our belief system.
Ryan: So they should die.” 
Craibe: You know, we have an alignment to the Scriptures, but that’s our belief.
Ryan: You’re proposing in your doctrine that because these parents are gay, that they must die.
Craibe: Well, well, because that is part of our Christian doctrine.
Ryan: But how is that Christian? Shouldn’t it be about love?
Craibe: Well, the love that we would show is about that
consideration for all human beings to come to know salvation… 
Ryan: Or die…
Craibe: Well, yes. 
~*~
     A rather nasty little transcript, wouldn't you say? And what, pray tell, inspires this level of blind insanity? The Bible! Indeed, the so-called good book brings us this wonderful verse on how gay parents need to be put to death, right next to that love thy neighbor tripe.
     Look, I know this doesn't represent all of Christianity... but as he is the director of media relations I know he is supposed to represent the Salvation Army, and I think he did. And there is a long list of offences that I can bring up that show just what this organization is really about.
     If you want to donate to a group that helps the homeless but doesn't discriminate, donate to one of the numerous secular charities wandering about, like I do. If you are semi-religious and want your money to go to God but not to discriminate, donate to this particular YMCA, seeing as their Catholic support was yanked when they refused to stop helping LGBTQ students and their organizations. They certainly need the help.
     Doesn't this just bring in the Christmas spirit? Now you know how I feel about the holiday...

No comments:

Post a Comment